Originally from Dodge City, Kansas, Mr. Shultz graduated from Washburn University with a Bachelor of Arts Degree with a double major in history and political science, and a minor in English literature. While at Washburn, he was inducted into the Honorary History Society and was named an All American Scholar. He received his Juris Doctor degree from Washburn University School of Law in 1993 and was admitted to the Kansas Bar the same year.
Mr. Shultz has practiced law in Dodge City, Manhattan, Kansas City, and Topeka. In 1993 he completed mediation training with CDR Associates in Boulder, Colorado. He is admitted to practice in the state courts of Kansas, Nebraska, Minnesota and Missouri, and before the United States District Courts for the Districts of Kansas, Nebraska, the Eastern and Western Districts of Arkansas, the Western District of Missouri, U.S. District Courts of Colorado, Western District of Oklahoma, and the Tenth Circuit Court of Appeals.
Mr. Shultz represents businesses and banks around the middle United States. His practice includes business, business transactions, banking, financial institution bonds, professional liability, employment and civil rights law, construction law, real estate transactions, worker’s compensation defense and general business defense and litigation.
In addition to being very involved in his local church, Mr. Shultz provides legal assistance to a number of U.S. non-profit organizations. He also serves on the Board of Haiti Lifeline Ministries, which provides financial and other support to an orphanage, a school, and a medical clinic in Croix De Bouquets, Haiti. He has traveled to Haiti a number of times to work at the orphanage. In 2011 and again in 2013, Governor Sam Brownback appointed Mr. Shultz to serve on the Kansas Racing and Gaming Commission, which regulates the pari-mutuel racetracks and state owned casinos in Kansas; and, in July, 2013, Governor Brownback appointed Mr. Shultz Chairman of the Kansas Racing and Gaming Commission.
Mr. Shultz is a member of the Topeka Bar Association, Kansas Bar Association, the Kansas Association of Defense Counsel, and the Nebraska State Bar Association.
Areas of Practice
- Corporate and Commercial Law
- Real Estate
- Employment Law and Litigation
- Banking Law and Liability Defense
- Lobbying and Advocacy Before Local State and Federal Agencies and Governmental Bodies
- Bankruptcy, Reorganization & Creditor’s Rights
- Insurance Law and Defense
- Corporate Commercial, Business and Employment Litigation
- Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Administrative, Regulatory and Licensing
- Antitrust Law
- Medical Malpractice and Nursing Home Defense
- Health Care, Business and Employment Law Litigation
- Regulatory, Audit and Corporate Compliance
- Professional Licensing and Disciplinary Actions
- Administrative Actions and Appeals, Judicial Review and Appellate Practice
- Defense of Regulatory or Enforcement Actions
- Litigation and Appellate Practice
- Tax Appeals and Disputes
- Workers’ Compensation Defense
- Employment Litigation and Discrimination Defense
- Professional Liability Defense
- General Civil Litigation